What can I do to help?
The most helpful thing you can do is educate yourself on where your water comes from and access information from SRP to better understand the water situation. In addition, there are many options for you to conserve and improve water efficiency either at your home or your business.
Indeed, much of Arizona's sustainable water supply has been developed through improvements in water efficiency measures and technologies; water conservation is a cost-effective way to stretch supplies.
Even small changes that have minimal impact to your lifestyle can make a big difference when compounded over a region the size of metro Phoenix.
Initial changes you can make in your home include:
- Installing WaterSense-labeled products
- Fixing leaks – indoors and outdoors
- Taking shorter showers
- Only washing full loads in the dishwasher and washing machine
- Refraining from hosing down driveways, sidewalks and steps
- Checking your irrigation system periodically and repairing leaks
- Watering before the sun rises or after the sun sets
SRP, Central Arizona Project, the Arizona Municipal Water Users Association, Water – Use It Wisely, the Arizona Department of Water Resources and your local municipality's water conservation office offer tips to reduce your water consumption. In addition, many municipalities offer classes, tips and rebates to increase the water efficiency of your home. More information can be found at the following websites: